Raw Blackberry Banana Ice Cream

September 11, 2012

Raw Blackberry Banana Ice Cream

Not long ago I thought I had found the most delicious and easiest to make ice cream (see my post on No-Churn Coconut Chocolate Ice Cream). Recently, however, I wanted to see what all the hype was about the magical one-ingredient ice cream and that was a fantastic surprise. Frozen then puréed ripe bananas make the creamiest, lightest alternative to custard-based ice cream. It is rich yet feels light, it's naturally sweet and creamy and, when frozen, doesn't form all those nasty ice crystals. With no ice cream maker needed, this dessert is a breeze to make and the result spectacular.

All you need to do is peel and break a few bananas into 4-5 pieces, freeze them for a few hours or overnight, thaw for about 15 minutes, pop them in a blender or food processor and whiz to a smooth, velvety consistency. You can either serve it right away or store in an airtight container and freeze until needed. I prefer the soft serve consistency.

Raw Banana Ice Cream

The unexpected thing about this ice cream is the colour. Fresh bananas have that pale yellow colour, but when frozen and puréed they turn beautifully, deliciously white. I enjoyed a few batches of this one-ingredient ice cream before I started playing around with flavours.

The blackberry-banana combination is tremendously delicious. The rich, fruity, slightly tangy flavour and the creamy, pleasantly grainy texture make it hugely satisfying and moreish.

This isn't exactly a recipe, rather a suggestion, since my flavour preference may well differ from yours, so feel free to experiment with other amounts until you achieve the desired flavour intensity.

A 1:1 ratio worked best for me (1 cup blended bananas to 1 cup blended blackberries). On another occasion, to serve 4-6 people I used 8 bananas and about 2 cups blackberries. What you do is freeze the bananas in an airtight container (if you don't have smelly foods stored in your freezer, you can just use some parchment paper to wrap them up like an envelope), freeze the blackberries as well separately (for convenience I prefer leaving them overnight), remove from freezer when needed and thaw for about 15 minutes uncovered.

If you have a large, powerful blender or food processor, you can just put everything together and whiz until smooth. I used the chopper container from a hand blender set (it's 600W, quite powerful for iced foods), so I made this in 2 easy steps. First I processed the blackberries into fine icy crumbs (see below), transferred to a bowl, then creamed the bananas (picture above) and finally added the blackberries, whizzed for a few more seconds and done. A bit of a messy job, but fast and easy still. It is important that you don't overbeat the ice cream or you'll end up with an ice-cold smoothie:)


Not only can you experiment with the taste, but with the colour as well. The ratio you choose can turn your ice cream pink, purple, burgundy, etc. Have fun with it:)

The quality of the fruit is decisive on the final taste. You want ripe, soft bananas (not brown and mushy inside). Freshly picked, fully ripened, sweet blackberries taste much better than the store-bought, so if you are able to pick them yourself, all the better. I only used hand-picked berries and was delighted with how the ice cream turned out.

Blackberries

If you are not fond of seeds, you can always strain the ice cream. I for one cannot wait to dig in, besides the blackberry seeds are tiny enough not to make a big difference.

Raw Blackberry Banana Ice Cream

Now think about it, with this raw ice cream you not only get a full blast of flavour and creaminess, you also get a whole load of nutrients. This simple 2-ingredient ice cream is packed with vitamin C and B6, potassium, magnesium and fiber, and also provides a considerable amount of iron and calcium, while containing no cholesterol and being virtually fat-free. There's no sugar added, no tricky and risky techniques, no guilt or worry about weight gain, so why not give it a try?:)

I would love to know what combinations you made (or thought of) to create other amazing flavours, so please drop me a line below with your suggestions.

Enjoy and spread the magic!:)


Like this recipe? Share it with your friends and come back for more!

20 comments:

Andrea - Chocolate and Beyond

I can vouch for how delicious this is! It tastes sinful and yet you will go to heaven for eating it :) I made mine with more blackberries because I had so many to use and it was very nice - I had it for breakfast, popping my fruit in the freezer the night before. I would think this would make a gorgeous dessert, especially with chocolate sauce. Thanks for inspiring me with this lovely suggestion Adriana!

Vegan Magic

Isn't it amazing, Andrea, how simple ingredients combined can create such amazing desserts? I'm so happy you enjoyed it and the suggestion of adding chocolate sauce sounds delicious:) Thank you so much for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Unknown

Yummy! My hubby likes bananas with Smart Balance peanut butter and I prefer banana-blueberry for my preggy belly.

Vegan Magic

Stephanie, congratulations on having a baby, this is wonderful!:) Funny that you mentioned the banana-peanut butter combination, just today I was thinking that I never actually tried a banana peanut butter sandwich, which so many people love. I'm intrigued by the idea of using this combination in an ice cream, I wonder how it would taste. I've kept some bananas aside to ripen, when they're ready I'll give this a go. Thank you so much for the suggestion and comment. Wishing you all the best and a healthy baby:)

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies

I do this all the time too! (In fact, I just posted a Mexican chocolate version today.) I'm going to have to try using blackberries in it next time. :)

Vegan Magic

Hey Kiersten, thank you so much for stopping by. Your chocolate banana soft serve with cinnamon and cayenne is something I'd love to try:) I hope you like the combination of banana and blackberries too:)

Loriann Cargill

I just put my bananas & blackberries in the freezer. I have a feeling once I try this recipe I won't ever eat traditional ice cream again...I can't wait!

Vegan Magic

Thank you, Loriann, so glad you like it and want to give it a try. Raw ice cream does change the way you feel about the traditional one:) Don't forget that you can modify the amounts to suit your taste. I look forward to your feedback.

Sweet Baby Jem

This looks great! I really want to make it for an upcoming family function... I love sneaking healthy food in on my healthy-food adverse family and watching them enjoy it haha! I know fresh picked local berries would taste best, but do you think frozcen no-added-sugar berries would work?

Vegan Magic

Hi and thank you so much for stopping by:) Well, I don't see why they wouldn't work, considering you'd still need to freeze freshly picked blackberries. Plus, ripe bananas cover the sweetness part. I say go ahead and just keep an eye on the consistency and stop blending when it's smooth enough. I made it several times and shared with non-vegans and they all loved it, I'm sure your family will too:) Enjoy!

Unknown

My friend is on the paleo diet and we're having a party. My desserts are not paleo friendly but this is 100% paleo so my bananas, strawberries, and blueberries are now in the freezer. Thank you so much! 100% all natural dessert searches were overwhelming.

Vegan Magic

Hello, Chelsea:) I'm very happy you found this dessert on my blog to share with your friends. It sure is a crowd-pleaser and the fact that it's so easy to prepare makes it all the more exciting:) Your combination sounds really yummy! Thank you so much for giving it a try.

Unknown

A version of this is a must for Thermomix owners. Cut into 2 inch pieces and freeze 3 bananas. Use bananas just out of the freezer, add 1 Tablespoon coco powder. If you want sweeter add a tablespoon of maple syrup. Wizz at high speed till mixed and that is the most wonderful chocolate ice cream.

Vegan Magic

Dj Baum, thank you so much for your suggestion. Banana ice cream is so versatile, I love the chocolate version. What I like even more is the orange/coconut twist. I made once the Dairy-free Chocolate Orange Ice Cream from www.heartviastomach.com and fell in love with it.

Unknown

I just made this for my family a couple of hours ago. I doubled the recipe, and it was still gone within 10 minutes. Absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this:)

Vegan Magic

Rachel, that's great! Thanks so much for the feedback.

Tessa

Love this idea. We had just picked some fresh blackberries from our backyard and wanted an easy way to use them. This was perfect! I loved the idea of blending the blackberries first. Ours weren't quite frozen yet, but made a great syrup that blended easily with the bananas. Topped it off with whipped cream and graham cracker crumbs and it was a hit! Not to mention cool, refreshing, healthy and light on a hot August night. Definitely making again-maybe even trying a peach version. Thanks for the idea and happy blending! :)

Vegan Magic

Tessa, that sounds amazing! Thanks a lot for the feedback and happy blending to you too:)

Karen S.

I did make this and I did remove the seeds. I put them in frozen white chocolate cups,and refroze until ready, served with whipped cream. yum!
thank you for the great recipe.

Vegan Magic

Karen, it seems that you had a royal treat:) Thank you so much for the feedback!

Previous Next Home