Green Tea with Mint

October 30, 2011

Green Tea with Mint

I'm not much of a tea drinker, but I've had a few favourites along the way. Back in Romania I used to love a hot cup of chamomile or lime flower tea with sugar and lemon. When I moved to Dubai I fell in love with chai karak (black tea with milk, sugar and cardamom) and when I came to London my preference shifted towards green tea with mint and lemon.

After becoming vegan (and more health conscious for that matter) I noticed a decreasing interest in sugar, to the point where I stopped adding it to my tea. I remember being forced to drink unsweetened mint tea during childhood for some digestive troubles and hating it. Now I can't enjoy my green tea without mint, or lemon.

Although this is not an actual Moroccan recipe, it was inspired by the idea of mixing green tea and mint. When I was in Dubai I had a couple of chances to drink authentic Moroccan tea, the very sweet version, and I can tell you that it is a strong, flavourful tea, very different from anything you've tried. The tea has about 3-5 tablespoons of sugar added for each tablespoon of dry tea leaves, so you can imagine a Moroccan's reaction after trying my version.

While tea making takes more of a ritual form in Morocco, my method is very simple. You might frown at the idea of a sugar-free tea, but if you want just go ahead and add as much sugar as you wish. I've come to realise that making just one cup at tea doesn't result in a good taste, so I always make 2 cups or more. By cups I don't mean the tiny glasses typically used for Moroccan tea, but the solid cups/mugs (250-300 ml). If it has to be mint tea, then it had better be plenty!

What you need...
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 tsp loose green tea
  • handful of fresh mint leaves
  • lemon

How to...
  • In a pot bring the water to a boil. Remove from heat and let sit for a minute, uncovered. If you want sugar, this is where you add it and stir till dissolved.
  • Add the tea and mint leaves, cover and allow to steep for 2-3 minutes. Strain and pour into cups.
  • Let cool for a few minutes, then add freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste (lemon juice is rich in vitamin C which is very sensitive to heat; therefore add it when the tea is warm, not hot or boiling).

There's nothing to it, really. And the result is a delicious tea with many health benefits. I hope you enjoy it. If you'd like to know how to make Moroccan mint tea, please read this article with step-by-step pictures.


A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each recipe I post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you made this recipe, then please take a minute of your time to leave me a comment. And if you like it, please share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all in advance!

2 comments:

Sabah

Hi Adriana,Thanks for your visit and for your nice comment, It's my pleasure to share with you moroccan recipes, I love your blog too, very nice and rich. Happy blogging!!

Vegan Magic

Thank you so much for your kind words, Sabah:) I love Moroccan food and still have plenty of recipes to share. Your blog is truly an inspiration.

Previous Next Home